Thursday, July 21, 2011

To Ask Or Not To Ask; That Is The Question


I believe there are two kinds of people; those who ask questions, and those who try and figure it all out on their own. I suppose each has their advantages and disadvantages, but for me I’m a “figure it out on your own” kind of person. Which is great when I’m able to actually “figure it out”, but it’s a real bummer when my own attempts fail.

I have a twin brother who is definitely a question person. I never quite understood his need to ask so many questions, but I do have to give props to the guy for being bold enough to ask anybody anything. Questions that would have left me cowering in a corner were boldly declared by my brother. 

When it comes to running there are “kosher” questions, and then there are questions that only my twin brother would dare ask. Both need answering though. The Burn Your Lungs Run 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon is only 9 days away so it’s time to tackle a few of those awkward questions. 

Question 1: Why does my GI tract act up when I’m running? 
When you run your intestines take a double hit. The jostling motion of running can irritate the intestines, and blood flow that's needed for digestion is diverted to your legs and vital organs which can result in cramping, gas, or diarrhea.

Question 2: Is it true that running can cause chaffed or bleeding nipples?
Yep, it’s true!  When men run, their nipples are constantly rubbing against their shirts which overtime can cause painful chaffing or even bleeding.  This shouldn’t keep you from running though! Band Aids, Vaseline or Body Glide, and moisture wicking shirts will all help prevent this painful situation.

Question 3: Why do my legs get itchy when I run?
The most common cause of itchy legs is caused by the millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles expanding rapidly because of the demand for more blood. The brain often reads this sensation as an itch. The good news is that this problem should go away as you increase your fitness level.

Question 4: Am I supposed to wear my race t-shirt on race day?
No, your race t-shirt is a “been there, done that” t-shirt. So, until you’ve completed the race don’t wear it. Once you’ve completed the race you’re free to pull on that new technical t-shirt and flaunt your accomplishment. 

Question 5: Why does my nose run just as fast as my feet?
An exercise induced runny nose is most likely due to the increased air flow.  Cool or dry air causes an increase in nasal secretions. There is no need to feel self conscious about your snotty nose, its part of running just like sweat. Be a kid and either perfect your snot rocket technique or just let it run.

There you have it. The answers to questions you may have never even thought to have asked. And they weren’t even embarrassing because you didn’t have to ask them, you got to read them in the comfort of your own home!

No comments:

Post a Comment