Friday, February 25, 2011

Now you'll wish you DID eat GLUTEN FREE!

Yesterday I went through some recipes I had and tweaked them "The Audrey Ross Way". I concocted about 20 new recipes that I'll be trying in the next few weeks.  After all the hard work I put into all my "recipe crunching" I was totally ready to go and try one of them.  So I decided to work with ingredients I already had in the house and I made a Gluten Free Banana Coffee Cake.  Let me just tell you now.  I was the most delicious dessert I've made to date since going Gluten Free.  I raved about it all evening and even some this morning. So now that I've built it all up here's the recipe in all it's glory. 


GF Banana Coffee Cake

Ingredients:
1 T Flax ground flax seeds or Salba (If you haven't heard of Salba, check it out, it's amazing.  I'll devote a whole post to it later)
4 Tablespoons warm water
1 C Stevia In The Raw

1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup Almond Milk
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. GF Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup Gluten Free Bisquick
1/2 tsp. salt
1 banana

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 8x8x or 9x9 square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
  2. Mix the flax/salba with the warm water and set aside to thicken
  3. Mix 1/2 c stevia with cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside
  4. Combine the yogurt, milk, water, salba mixture and vanilla in a large mixing bowl
  5. In another bowl combine the GF Bisquick, Baking Powder, 1/2 cup stevia and salt
  6. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together and stir until combined
  7. Pour 1/2 the batter into the baking dish (if it seems thick add about 1/4 water)
  8. Sprinkle 1/2 of the Stevia & Cinnamon mixture over the batter
  9. Top with the rest of the batter
  10. Slice banana into thin rounds and lay slices on top of batter so that they completely cover the top
  11. Sprinkle the bananas with the rest of the Stevia & Cinnamon mixture
  12. Bake for 25 minutes
  13. Broil the top of the cake until it caramelizes
  14. Time to serve it up.
Nutrition:
This is good cake and you may want big servings.  I cut it into 6 pieces, but next time I'll only do 4 pieces.  It's so healthy that eating a 1/4 of the pan is better than eating 1/2 a piece of regular cake.  But in case you're serving more than four people I break the nutrition down for you a few ways.

4 servings:  - 158 calories per piece
6 servings: - 105 calories per piece
9 servings:- (a typical size piece) 70 calories
* or suppose you'd like to just go ahead and make a meal of it and split it with someone.
2 servings: - 316 calories per piece.  Pair that with a big cup of coffee and you've got yourself a huge delicious extremely healthy breakfast (aka - Saturday Breakfast)

No comments:

Post a Comment