Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Vegetarian Gluten Free Lasagna




I've wondered for some time if I might have some gluten sensitivities but I've never done much about it. However after reading, "The G-Free Diet" by Elisabeth Hasselback. I decided to try going gluten free for a week to see if I felt any better. The result has been amazing. I feel alive! I have energy I never had before. I don't feel sick after every meal. It has been truly amazing. That's not what this blog is about though, so I'll get to the point. The point is that I've had to learn how to eat good food without the gluten and I just created a delicious vegetarian-gluten-free lasagna today that you must try. So, without further ado, here it is.


Vegetarian Gluten Free Lasagna

Ingredients:

3 1/4 inch slices of eggplant
1 large rice tortilla
1/2 zucchini (peeled)
1/4 c chicken broth
fresh rosemary, parsley, oregano & basil
2 T Tofu Cream Cheese
6 oz. Silken Tofu
2 egg whites
6 mushrooms
1 slice rice bread (toasted)
Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg
Directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
  2. Start by cutting your 3 slices of eggplant. Peel the the skin off a place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray
  3. Bake for 20 minutes while you make the rest of the ingredient
  4. Filling #1 - put zucchini, fresh herbs (I used about 2 T of each, put feel free to add as much or little as you want) chicken broth and cream cheese in a food processor and blend until it resembles pesto
  5. Dumb filling #1 into a separate bowl and rinse out the food processor
  6. Filling #2 - put tofu, egg whites, & chopped mushrooms in the food processor. Blend until it is smooth. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. I didn't measure these, but I'd try 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg - sorry I don't have specifics on this
  7. Remove eggplant from oven
  8. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray
  9. Cut rice tortilla into strips
  10. Now it's time to layer
  11. Spoon 1/4 cup zucchini mixture into the bottom of the loaf pan, place strips of tortilla on top, next spoon 1/4 c mushroom mixture on, top with 1 eggplant slice.
  12. Continue to layer ingredients, ending with the mushroom mixture.
  13. Turn the oven down to 400 degrees and bake for 40 minutes or until the edges are brown and starting to crack.
  14. Toast 1 slice of rice bread. Then put it into a Ziploc bag and roll over it with a rolling pin until it is crumbs.
  15. Sprinkle the top of the lasagna with crumbs, spray with a butter spray and broil for 3 minutes or until the crumbs are toasted.
  16. Now it's time to eat up!
Nutrition: Makes 2 servings: 208 calories each.
That means you can eat 1/2 of a loaf pan of lasagna for around 200 calories - THAT IS AMAZING!!! You'll be getting 14 grams of protein as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment